Friday, May 23, 2014

Bug out / Camp trailer upgrades

I started working on my bug out / camp trailer in the fall, and you can see in some earlier post the initial set up.  Well, over the winter and spring i have made several improvements to increase capacity and flexibility in the system.

First I added the 4" PVC pipes on each side to hold 1# propane tanks.  I did a detailed post about the tubes earlier, and they now are in place.  They are low and far enough apart where they actually seemed to increased the stability on the trailer because they sit right over the tires.

The next big change was the addition of a roof top travel bag.  I was able to get a slightly used Rola Platypus Expandable Rooftop Bag.  I installed metal mounting hardware to the trailer lid and using the straps attached the bag.  This gives me up to 15 additional cubic feet of soft goods storage space, and frees up space lower inside the trailer for heavy gear that will lower the center of gravity for the total load.  

i'm going to store light bulky items in the bag like sleeping bags and clothes.  I recently added a cast iron Dutch oven and some other cast iron cookware to my camping gear, because of their weight and density, the center of the trailer right over the axel should be the perfect location to place them. That will efficiently use the reclaimed space and increase stability and weight distribution at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment