Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I'm always looking for more space

and when looking at my bug out/ camping trailer no matter how much bigger it is then a traditional BOB it still isn't enough.  I'm always trying to squeeze another couple of inches out of it.  So i'm working on an addition/modification to get some room.

I saw a pop up camper at another site where the guy had a small 4" PVC pipe to carry a two 1lb propane tanks mounted up near the hitch.  I was like WOW, great idea, but I need to take it up a notch.  I measured the sides on the little cargo area of my trailer, and made two tubes that should hold 8 tanks each and will fit right along the sides of it.  When I get time i'm going to mount them right above the fenders, then I can reclaim the space in the cargo area that the tanks occupy.  I put screw on caps on both ends so I can push them out with the empties and keep the load balanced.


And a SPECIAL thanks to my friend Highgear!!!  He pointed out that IF a tank sprung a leak I would have a tube filled with gas just looking for a spark and waiting to explode. At his recommendation, I drilled holes into the caps at both ends to allow the gas to escape in just such a case.

2 comments:

  1. Idea is cool, but what about the temperature inside the tubes when in the sun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Propane tanks sit in the sun all the time without a problem. They are designed to handle reasonable temperature variations, and if you look at one, they all have a little pressure valve built in near the top. I was more concerned with frost building up in a valve and opening it, thus the cap vents

      Delete