Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The box I never want to open...

Ok, so if you have seen my previous blog posts, you know by now I'm big fan of organization and creating my organized prepackaged kit boxes. Well this is a peek into the box I never want to open. Its my WROL (without rule of law) kit.  There are a lot of things in here I am glad I was able to have retired when I changed my "line of work".  This is also where I keep my survival gear that I consider beyond what is acceptable in normal society.  On a more practical note I have children, and they also have friends that visit us, and as a responsible parent I feel it is my job to keep these tools in a safe manner and away from my children.

While some of this would be valuable during an evac situation, it is mainly items that would be used under the early days of civil unrest following some crisis or disaster during a "bug in", or while traveling to an evac location.


First, no firearms.  While I do have some, the long guns and most hand guns are kept under lock and key in gun safes, and my "daily carry" gun and a few other "security" weapons are kept secure but accessible.

My knives are almost exclusively "survival" in nature.  I already wrote about my favorite M-Tech MX8054, but I also have a few others.  They are sized for comfortable use and carry by the rest of my family, and I would insist that they keep them on their person for safety reasons if we were to evacuate.  I have a few friends who carry a knife daily, but i just don't see the "point". ;-)
Having closely observed what has worked best (and honestly what we needed but didn't have) during camping trips to clear a site, gather fuel, and various other wilderness tasks, I have a few longer edge weapons.   These are in fact more tools than weapons, with various uses in a camping environment.  Baring a Zombie apocalypse, they have little or no use in an urban setting or during a bug in.


This is also where I keep my tactical gear.  Retired duty belts, holsters, several pieces of body armor and shooting gloves, rifle slings and ammo pouches.  Since I run a tactical 20 gauge I'm a big fan of bandoleers, they may sound old fashion and western, but for me there is no better way to carry the volume of extra shells.  The weight is distributed and they are easily accessed for a reload.



 I have a couple of drop leg rigs for my Glocks as well as belt and paddle holsters.  I'm a big fan of Blackhawk's Serpa retention system. For speed and safety it is the best i've come across.  Anyone who spent time as a LEO or in the service will tell you about traditional hip holsters in a vehicle seat.




Body armor is just in case things deteriorate faster then I would anticipate and force me to evacuate under chaotic conditions.    Having been shot before, I know the best way to win a gunfight, is to avoid a gun fight.  But, we can't always control the events around us.  Since I already made the investment and owned them, I simply repurposed the investment as part of my Emergency preparedness gear.




This is not what I think prepping is all about, nor should it be the focus of a preparedness plan. Violence is not a solution, but it is a reality.  So being prepared to protect yourself and loved ones from harm, is as important as protecting them from cold or hunger.  I don't look forward to it nor do I fear it. Its just another force of nature to deal with.



No comments:

Post a Comment