Saturday, January 11, 2014

My favorite Survival knife

The M-Tech Xtreme MX8054


I'm not a knife guy.  I don't carry one every day, or have a big collection of pocket knives, or even particularly like knives.  In fact, of the 10 or so blade / edge weapons I own, 3 are this same knife. So, why is it my favorite and why would I spend time writing about it.  Because i'm not a knife guy and I like it, so if you are NOT a knife guy like me, the same reasons it is my favorite may make the MX8054 appeal to you.

First, its full tang.  full what?  yeah, I know, drop the tech talk.  Ok, its one solid piece of metal from tip to the bottom of the handle.  Anyway, being one big hunk of metal, it feels nice and solid. No flipping open and slicing your thumbs here (been there, done that) its a nice fixed blade.  But that also means its not something you can carry around every day.  

Second the grip has that curved hand guard which I LOVE because i'm always afraid my grip may get loose from water or sweat and my hand slide forward. Working with this I know my hand is protected. Also, Its thick enough to get a good grip on so it feels comfortable. 

Third, that blade shape creates the recessed area right in front of the guard, I found it perfect for shaving on sticks to create kindling for a camp fire. Fourth, at 3/16 of an inch thick and 440 Stainless Steel, I could beat on forever splitting small branches building a fire and never fear it would fail me.  Its just comfortable in a lot of ways, and "comfort" when you're not a knife guy says a lot.


Oddly enough, my son says to me the other day, "Dad, the guy in my video game has your knife".  I guess the M-Tech is the Call of Duty developers favorite knife too.







Now, just because I'm not a "knife guy" doesn't mean I can't work at it being comfortable with them (Remember my definition of prepping is learning a skill at a time and place of your choice and NOT because of a crisis).  In fact I have several books on knife combat, tactics, and usage, as well as several videos on the subject.  Here are my rubber training knives and I probably dedicate about an hour a week to practice knife tactics.

Anyway, if sharp objects are not your thing and you don't like knives, but need a good SHTF survival knife for your BOB, take a look at the M-tech. It just my be what you need.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I really feel strongly about it and love learning more on that topic. If achievable, as you gain competence, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is highly helpful for me.
    edc knives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been slammed with a new project at work and haven't had much time to do updates. I will say I added a Gerber Strongarm to my collection, and its on my hiking pack.

      Delete
  2. I definitely appreciate your blog. Excellent work!
    sword versus gun

    ReplyDelete