Monday, January 6, 2014

Don't get caught up by stupid stuff

Simplify things and standardize.  Thats one of my underlying principals.  Great example is securing my prepps.  I put them in the kits and locked them, but I picked the simplest securest lock I could find.

Its a Master lock speed dial and I got 10 of them and set them ALL to the same combination and then made sure the whole family can open them.  I always hated combination locks in high school, they never worked for me then, and I can only imagine the stress I would be under if I had to open these cases.  The last thing I need is some persnickety combination lock that doesn't like when i go half way past right 17, or worse yet loose the darn key and end up standing in front of a case holding just what I need beating on a lock with a rock.

Now keeping this much gear, securing it was not an option.  Not just for transport but for safety.   I have children and their friends come visit all the time, and I don't want little Timmy from up the street playing with my tactical tomahawk or telling his mom how he took a aspirin only to find out its Cipro.  But foresight impacted two decisions.




First, my selection of tote/bins, i added hinged and lockable to my criteria, and second, when I could have bough any old pad locks, or stepped up to a bunch keyed alike, instead I looked for a "next level" solution.   None of this impacted the price, but its a matter of applying long term thinking to the smallest decisions.

This way everything is secure with no key, no hard to remember combination, and no worries.... Solve the problem before it IS a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment