Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ok, so EMPs and Solar flares don't worry me...

I know it goes against the "prepper code" to not take a threat seriously, but I prioritize based on probability and i just don't think its very likely.  So why am I even talking about them if i don't see them as a threat?  Well, just because they aren't high on the probability list doesn't mean I can't take some cheap and easy steps to minimize my exposure.

Now even though i'm planning on Bugging in, you probably know from other blog post that I store and organize my gear so IF i did have to evacuate its pre-packed.  Well I figured if i'm going to store field electronics, i may as well store them safe from EMPs.   OK, so first if you're reading this i'm sure you know an EMP is a electromagnetic pulse that fries circuits and makes high tech gear into paper weights, and that a Farady cage can protect your gear by shielding it.  But did you know you can make a "poor man's Farady cage" from a steel trash can?



OK, so a great big garbage can is not very mobile when full, but these little 6 gallon ones from Home Depot are perfect and they are like 15 bucks.  Line it with card board to make sure none of the gear touches the can and there you have it. Like I said, I have to store the gear anyway so why put it in a plastic box when I can just as easily put it in steel and protect it with no extra trouble.   So here is a quick tour of what I keep in.


Its mostly communication gear, field radios on the left (i have throat mikes for them too), a couple of Nextels set to direct chat (i've field tested them and you get almost half mile range), a crank emergency radio, a multimeter, in the center is my police scanner, and my 3 Bushnell backtracks.  I tossed in a couple of spare tactical LED flashlights too at the direction of a prepper friend of mine who swears they have chips and are subject to EMPs.  I also keep my night vision gear in there too, but i didn't pull it out since I already talked about it in another post.

So, now you know why EMPs and solar flares don't worry me...  

No comments:

Post a Comment