Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My "bug out" evacuation food supply

So I have a few cases of MREs. Who doesn't, big deal! Right? Right!

There is nothing magic I have to share about them.  But since I shared my bug out / base camp trailer, and my overall food strategy.  And I clearly said I don't have or believe in a bug out bag to survive for 72 hours. I realized that these post would clearly point out a gap in my plan. That I may not be able to go from eating at home to an evacuation camp site in an single day. So then what?


My MREs are how I fill that gap. MREs are my "emergency rations" that can be heated and eaten on the road or in concealment without cooking, fire, establishing a full campsite, or compromising my location.  On an additional note, MRE's are now available in a "low sodium" variety.  While I don't have a hypertension, avoiding increased sodium while enduring the stress I would be under if I were eating these during an evac would be preferable.

I showed the case just for scale, but I have broken down 5 cases into 2 of my Green Horizon totes, just like the rest of my "kits", and they are ready for an evac just as quick as I could grab a Bug out bag.   These totes are solid and protect the MREs a lot better then the factory cardboard boxes they came in.  In addition the totes are designed to stack and lock together so they securely "fit" into both my truck and my evacuation plan.





I also have a supply of Mountain House freeze dried dinners for four and Gatorade drink mixes that I keep in these.  Of all the camping food, I think Mountain House brand is head and shoulders above the rest in taste. Whenever I catch these on sale, or I can get a good discount coupon for Dunham's, I add a few packs. The drink mixes add an extra electrolyte boost to bottled water while under the stress of travel or can help hide the taste of water after purification.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the taste of Gatorade but it does make sense to have a container on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'm not crazy about it myself, but my kids tend to drink more when they get flavors, and under stress i'm concerned about dehydration.

      Delete