Friday, June 20, 2014

Camping is camping...


OK, any time you can get out of the house and enjoy the great out doors is a good time, and it can always teach you something.  So i never pass up and opportunity to get out.

Now maybe its in the middle of nowhere, out roughing it with the Boy Scout troop.  Or maybe its at the local park for a community campout with free hotdogs and smores.  Either way, i have never had a "bad time" and i've never come home having not learned something that will make me better prepared for a crisis.  Heck, it can even be fun to pitch my tent in my yard and spend the night outside.

Part of the exposure of being in a urban setting is you never develop "woodsman" skills.  Survival is innate, but the skills to survive have to be developed.  Now i may not be Bear Grylls, but if i have to live outdoors after a crisis I know i have the skills to do so, with or without all my gear.

Anyway, my only point is I don't make such a big deal out of it.  I don't have to go far, or have some great plan, sometimes we just go.  Leave the HDTV, cell phone, XBOX and high speed internet behind, and spend time outside together as a family.






No comments:

Post a Comment