Sunday, July 6, 2014

The bugout/camp kitchen "Mark II"

So if you have look around my blog before you may have seen my tote with all my emergency cooking gear in it.  Well, after a week of camping at the Boy Scouts of America Canoe base, I decide to adapted their trusty and time proven "patrol chuck box" concept and upgrade my camp kitchen.




I saw this interesting Stanley Fat Max tool box in home depot a few weeks ago and it caught my eye.  I didn't have an application for it, but i filed it away in the back of my brain and moved on. As I watched these groups of 12 year old boys busily going about their tasks in setting up camp, their tents, and their cook stations, it came to me.  That tool box would make the perfect camp kitchen storage system.


The tool box is wheeled and has three major compartments that slide out from the wheels to support themselves.  You can roll it right into a campsite and open it so everything is visible and easily accessible.

My nested camp cookware as well as all my cast iron pans and dutch oven fit perfect in the bottom section. The middle section has 8 compartments with removable dividers and is just the right height for spice shakers.    
 I also keep my cutlery, knives, and other small items there.  I also have one of the sections I use to keep camping items close.  A flash light, some Coleman lantern mantels, bug repellant, paracord, and other miscellaneous small items that I have a bigger inventory of in another tote, but might want at hand.

The top section is about the size of a traditional small tool box.  Its a full open compartment, and is perfect for long cooking utensil storage. Everything from Can opener to tin foil to turners and tong.

This system is a little bigger then the tote i was previously using, but the wheels and operation make it the perfect solution for my camp kitchen, and keeps everything organized, ready, and mobile if I ever am forced to evacuate.

9 comments:

  1. Ray, I saw a link to your blog on APN, where I'm a new member (PalmTrees). You have awesome tips, photos here. And, I ROFLOL when I read the reaction of your wife and daughter to mess kit eating. I would be faced with the same reaction if we had to evacuate and my SO was forced to camp. BTW, I have a question--would the above tool kit on wheels hold enough food for two people for a 72-hr kit? I need something with wheels as we're more likely to have to find a motel due to age and health conditions. Anyway--fantastic blog (and it's nice to see some people of color prepping (my SO is black). Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Palm, and absolutely it would work for your purpose. I have the bottom loaded with a full size dutch oven 3 cast iron pans, plus my anodized camp cookware. You could replace all the cast iron and save a lot of weight and space and carry at least a week of food for two. I would also toss a Katadyne Vario water filter in the top and a couple of sports bottles, then you can make unlimited safe drinking water too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I have to make another trip to HD. I will get two, another one for a XL first aid/trauma kit. Thanks RayMac. And thanks for your posts on APN, you are a voice of reason in many discussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-3-in-1-Rolling-Workshop-STST18613/203367137
      This one might work also.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joanna, and sorry for making you go to Home Depot again. I'm on a first name basis with half the folks in the one close to me.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I see that this blog post is a couple years old and am hoping that there will be a response. How has the Stanley mobile work station held up over the last several years as a camp box? I love the idea and can't decide between the Stanley or the Bostitch 19802 rolling tool box. Has the Stanley cantelever system held up to use in the dirt and remained reliable? I thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherish, Yes the Stanley has worked out well. It has held up in the field, and i keep it completely stocked next to my trailer all the time in my garage. All the grass cutting, and snow shoveling, and i'm amazed tat everything is still nice and clean and dust free when i open it. I haven't been too rough on the cantilever system, but i haven't babied it either. It is getting a bit heavy to lift into my pickup, but all in all, i very happy with the choice

      Delete
  5. I've seen a couple of articles using this same system, but yours seems so much more practical. I was just talking to the hubby about one I was reading last night but they did not have any cooking pots or pans. I'm glad to see you put your cast iron in it. We will definitely try this, wish we saw it years ago. Son has finished Boy Scouts, but have a few years for Girl Scouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great system, I actually moved away from it for a bit using some interlocking husky toolboxes, but I came back to this. it keeps everything off the ground and is self supportive so no use of other table space

      Delete