Monday, May 4, 2015

My vision is almost complete...

When I first stared thinking about an evac situation that was regional enough that a "bugout" was logical and practical, my goal was to be able to get to a remote location with enough gear, food, to survive comfortably for 30 days to 45 days.  I figured, thats about the amount of time before they let the Katrina survivors go back.  At least the ones that were "prepared" to go.

Anyway, I thought about what I needed from shelter to parameter security, to cooking systems, to first aid, potable water production, personal hygiene, power production, food, and means of capturing wild game (traps, fishing, hunting).  I focused on needs for production, not carrying inventory, so instead of cases of water, tanks of propane, and other consumables, I have water purification systems, and cook systems that use wood as a source of fuel.  Between my fully loaded trailer, and my prepackaged totes, I can be packed and on the road in under 30 minutes. To me THIS is my "bug out bag".


I also thought, after I made my base camp, I would want to have a mode of extended transportation that was fast, quiet, and conserved the limited amount of gas I would be able carry in a rapid evac.  I can quickly go beyond my establish perimeter for my campsite if required.  I have ways of attaching two of my "water brick" containers, if the closest source of fresh water is not walking distance, or if there are any other unforseen reason to travel greater distance from camp.

Well, it took a little metal work and some modifications, but I adapted a dual hitch system to accept a bike rack and pull my trailer.  This allows me to carry two mountian / trail bikes without compromising any of my bed space and my trailer can still tilt and pivot to deal with the off road environment.   Even better, it all says together, so my load up time is barley impacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment