Friday, May 8, 2015

Went looking for a challenge...

and BOY did I find one.   I know i haven't been doing any post lately, honestly, I haven been on any of my social media lately.  My prepping kind of took a back seat, not that I'm not ready, but i was looking to improve my abilities and physical training.  I've been focused on two things. Working with my son on merit badges, and prepping for a GoRuck Challenge.

If you aren't familiar with them, GoRuck challenges are events put on across the country by a Florida based company started and run by a bunch of Ex special forces guys.  My impression is after getting out, they missed the adrenaline rush, the camaraderie, the teamwork and bonds, that are built in Spec Ops.   I suspect they also though us civilians could benefit from a similar experience. You can google the company and their events for your self, and there are pretty good vids on youtube that give you a taste.

So anyway, I decided to treat myself to this abuse in celebration of my 52 birthday.  I wasn't ready!  Oh, i'm in shape, and I carried my weight, and completed the challenge.  I'm pretty sure I was the oldest guy there and I didn't give and inch.  What I wasn't ready for is the feeling.  We stared as 44 individuals, but by the end of the day, we were a unit.  You learn a lot about yourself when you face a common goal and have to work together to solve problems.  You learn to dig deep, to trust and to fight and give beyond what you thought you were capable of.


I've been on teams before at work, and sports, and I have friends who we say are "fox hole buddies".  But there is a level beyond any of what I knew that I was shown through this event.  The high after completion.  Maybe this is the brotherhood fraternities feel, or police and fire training classes, I don't know.  What I DO know is i'm a GoRuck convert, and recommend it to anyone who is up for a challenge.  Prepare to have your ass kicked, and your eyes opened.







No comments:

Post a Comment