Sunday, May 8, 2016

Finding a home for my Eberlestock Halftrack



So the Eberlestock Halftrack has been haunting me in my dreams for months.  Like any good gear addicted prepper i tried to tell myself i didn't need it.  I drooled over the 1000 denier fabric construction, the pals webbing, all the little compartments and features that make it an outstanding pack.   Well, i could't hold out any longer.  

With only 35 liters of internal space in the main compartment, it surely would not carry the load out my Kelty  Coyote 80 liter pack would. With that in mind, I have set about creating a light weight minimalist load out designed around the Halftrack.  I know it was designed as a tactical pack or day pack, and not a multi-day hiking pack, so i have my work cut out for me.    

I know the Multicam screams tactical, but my revised load out will work equally well in my Kelty Redwing 50.  Its not totally practical, but its off the chart in the swag department.  Sometimes my ego just runs amok, I think this was one of those times.

  
I've done some work on "shrinking" my gear, picking up a micro-lite stove in place of my full jetboil, a new ultralight camp light, adding some other stuff that ultralight backpackers use in place of traditional equipment.  I've also added a matching compression sack to carry my hiking tent outside the main pack to squeeze some extra room out of it. I also have become strategic in how i fit gear into it to make the best use of the packs potential.  The two side pockets/pouches are the full height of bag.  I'm playing Tetris with my support gear like Klymit Sleeping pad, Sea to Summit bag liner, MSR water filter, and other stuff to see how i can maximize these compartment.

One thing I can say, is even if i can't fit my gear all in it, I LOVE THIS RUCK! 


3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to share practical prepping tips with enough humor and personalization. I'm new to prepping and stumbled upon your blog and have marked it as a favorite. I plan on going through your previous posts from the the first one on. Thanks and keep posting!
    God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to share practical prepping tips with enough humor and personalization. I'm new to prepping and stumbled upon your blog and have marked it as a favorite. I plan on going through your previous posts from the the first one on. Thanks and keep posting!
    God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete