Friday, January 6, 2017

I gotta stay off the internet...


Sometimes i get too much time, and I end up finding things that solve problems i didn't even know i had.  This is one such problem.   I was watching Canadian Prepper's Youtube channel, and he went through his torch survival box.  I was just amazed at his flameless cook system.  While i'm not in the middle of nowhere like he is, so i won't need to cook if i got stuck and had to hike home,  I thought what a great way to heat up a quick bed time snack in my tent.   

Now, any expreianced camper will tell you one of the tricks to sleeping comfortably on a cold night is to "feed the furnace".  That is to eat something just before tucking into your sleeping bag to give your body fuel to keep you warm. Well, a warm snack is much better then cold, but coking on a jetboil is way too much trouble just before lights out, and depending on what tent i'm in i don't always have the room either.


Well this little flameless cook system is the perfect solution.  It will work in confined space, gives off no gas or fumes, and won't set my tent on fie.  Don't laugh, we have had a tent 







I tried it out with mountain house's grilled vegetables. They are a great dehydrated side dish that works on the trail, and i know how they cook up with hot water rehydration the regular way.


Just a little bit of water in the base is enough to start the reaction and get the heater going.  Then you close it up with what you're heating in the pan that goes on top.


I tried to show the steam coming out of the side.  Trust me, this thing gets hot!  It also stays hot for about 30 min, so IF you were stuck out in the cold, it would keep your meal warm so you could enjoy it.


my test meal rehydrated perfectly.  A great solution, to a problem i didn't even know i had.



No comments:

Post a Comment