Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What is "prepping"?

Prepping is not about underground bunkers, or thousands or rounds of ammunition, or a garage full of MREs. "Prepping" at its simplest is time shifting.

Let me say that again... Prepping is about time shifting.

Prepping is about performing tasks, acquiring goods, products, resources, and or tools, and gaining or learning skills at a time of convenience, low cost, or availability.  No mater if its a snow storm, or the Zombie apocalypse, the realization that there may come a time where we encounter a "disruption of normal services" must be faced.

The first question becomes do we concern ourselves with preparing at all, or do we believe the risk so minimal that its not worth it.  If we choose to mitigate the risk to ourselves and our loved ones, then we are faced with an assortment of levels from which to choose.  It can be as easy as keeping a flash light, a couple of cans of Chunky Soup, and a case of bottled water, or as complex as an "off grid" self sufficient survival compound. The decision on how far to go is entirely up to you.

Personally, I have developed my prepping philosophy around a "extended disruption of service" event.  I believe we as humans have a natural affinity towards social order and a societal structure that will prevail and thus the chaos of any catastrophic event and the panic that follows will eventually be extinguished by cooler heads.  My philosophy has dictated I plan for a self supportive existence without the external societal support for a 6 to 9 month period.  I will go deeper into specific solutions as time goes on, but I believe my urban environment limits the ability to grow your own food, and thus it limits what I can realistically and effectively prep for.  To save my own sanity i can neither worry about nor focus on a TEOTWAWKI type event.  But i can plot and execute a plan for an earth quake, Hurricane Sandy or Katrina,  a 2003 black out, Terrorist attack, Social collapse, or other such event, and it gives me comfort to know I have done so for my loved ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment