Thursday, October 31, 2013

Prepping and Survival skills come in all shapes and sizes...

and little things can have big impacts.  But you have to be observant to find your weaknesses and then solve the problem.  Ok, so now you're thinking i'm going to go on about getting an AR15 and how to clean it top to bottom, or enrolling in some Glock commando training camp or something... WRONG.

How about bread?  Yes, plain old simple bread. Baking bread is a survival skill!  Let me explain.  Now I'm sure my mom could bake bread.  In fact, I remember her baking rolls from scratch on holidays as a child, but I never learned.  Who cared, bread came from the store, it was so cheap you could buy a fresh loaf weekly just to have it handy even if you didn't eat it.  Then one day as I was in my pantry and i'm thinking  "I've got tuna, and peanut butter, stew, and soup, this and that and we can have sandwiches and this meal and that meal and shelter in place for...  wait.  Week three of a crisis there will be no bread!". A chink in the armor!

The next day I'm on allrecipes.com looking up bread baking. Easy as pie, I've never baked bread before but... a quick trip to Meijer's and i got this.  Yeah, right.  There must be 50 different types of flour.  So an hour reading packages in the store, and I get back home with 3 different kinds.  There I am with flour everywhere kneading till my arms hurt.  I end up with golden brown sticks in the bottom of my loaf pans. "Oh yeah, I got this" I muttered "were gonna starve".  Undaunted, I spend the next 3 weekends studying and trying, and trying, and learning.  And Now FREEDOM!!! I am no longer a slave to "The Grid's" bread masters....

Ok, freedom is a bit dramatic, and in truth for some this may be a small accomplishment.   But when it comes down to feeding my family during a crisis I have learned a skill who's value can not be measured.  And most importantly I have learned at a time of my choosing and when the cost of failure is cheap.

That is Prepping...

and just for the record, yes I can field strip my AR blindfolded too.

No comments:

Post a Comment