Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The day when the taps run dry...

would be a very dark day.  Most people think of black outs and power loss on a micro level.  They think of what happens when a tree takes out a wire or pole and my house or block is dark.  But part of prepping is elevating your thinking to a higher level.  We Look for critical dependancies and relationships in the systems that society depends on.  One such dependency is the water system.

In a lot of the country, municipal water systems have provided safe drinking water with such reliability that its almost inconceivable that one day the tap would run dry.  But the truth is a major power outage could easily shut down a water system.  Even a well can "run dry" if the pumps don't have a manual back up.  This might only be a day or two, but with no water that could be a long LONG day.

Now unlike more extensive prepps, you can fix this easy and cheap.  Just find a 1 X 2 foot corner and stack 3 cases of bottled water.  Here are to quick examples where I found dead in my basement, moved my wife's plastic decorative plants, and reclaimed the space for water.
My highly efficient scientific calculation method consist of watching my family of 4 and seeing how much they drink in a weekend. I figure 3 cases will last 5 to 7 days but your milage may vary.

Now as for water on the road, I have a couple of Katadyn Vario water purifiers as well as some spare parts in my totes.  I also have a Katadyn Gravidyn in my gear stored in my trailer, to be set up at base camp or in the house in a shelter in place to use with rain water.  Its good for 40,000 gallons or six months. and I have a full set of spare filters.  More then enough time for any crisis to subside.

I also keep a couple of water bobs in my gear.  Assuming warning is given or for some reason we were required to stay inside and prohibited from traveling, say martial law,  i could fill the BOBs in our 2 tubs and greatly increase my potable water on hand.   These would also come in handy with an extended blackout where power is lost to the pump station.  We have had "boil water" alerts last days, where pressure is restored, but the water is not safe to drink.  Filling the BOBs immediately would insure more safe water on hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment