Monday, September 29, 2014

A camp cooking at home solution...

One of the best and oldest camp cooking methods is with a Dutch oven.  Unfortunately understanding temperature control and timing for cooking in one is more art then science. To practice using a Dutch oven on a regular basis like you would in a camp site of in the field is rather difficult in a urban environment.  Since i wanted to become proficient at it, I had a problem, and unless I was willing to kill some grass and clear out a spot for a campfire in my yard, practicing my dutch oven cooking was going to be difficult.  

I looked at tables for Dutch ovens but they were 80 bucks.  Now, i'm not cheap, but I do have higher priorities and I want to spend my prepping dollars carefully.  Since it was my prepping budget that would have to take the hit for this expenditure, that nice 80 dollar dutch oven table would have to stay on the shelf at Gander Mountain and I needed another solution.

Then it came to me that with some scrap wood, and some sand for the charcoal bed to rest in, I could make one myself.  So half an hour later, I had a nice little table built, a peace of scrap tin drilled on top to reflect the heat, and wood trim to hold in some sand.  The perfect place for me to work out my Dutch over recipes.

Now I can practice cooking my breads, cakes, cobblers, stews, and infamous sticky buns, all at home just like i would if I were camping at a state park, all without upsetting the Condo Nazis that frown at me every time I pitch a tent or set up my crossbow target in my yard

No comments:

Post a Comment