Monday, September 1, 2014

I don't know everything.

and one of the biggest favors I have done for myself is allow myself the luxury of ignorance.  By first recognizing my lack of expertise, I free myself up from any pride and hubris and allow myself to ask the dumb questions and look for answers.  Here are a few of the books i'm currently reading or recently finished in that quest for knowledge.

Since these are more reference then stories, there is no need to grind through cover to cover.  To make it easy, I typically scan the index and read through the chapters that interest me.  I mark and highlight points of interest, and treat them like text books. I try things that are shown and will come back and make notes in the margin.  I also keep some of them in with my gear just in case i was forced to evacuate, I would have them with me for reference and entertainment.

Perppers Long Term Survival guide - If i had to recommend only 1 book, it would be this one. Jim Cobb covers everything in just enough detail to get you started.   There is a reason why my copy is dog eared.

Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide  - Don't let the title fool you.  Max looks at zombie survival seriously in a real world context.  Replace the word zombie with hurricane or black out, and the lessons still apply. This is a classic edu-tainment book

When all hell breaks loose, by  Cody Lundin
This one ranks a close second on my list, but its actually a more well rounded book then the top one. Cody Lundin has done a great job of creating a book that gives you detail, yet highlights the critical points, and does so in bite size entertaining sections to keep you reading.  You can open to any page and not feel lost, and unless your a professional prepper, you will learn something before you flip the page.

Surviving the coming financial collapse - Fernando Aguirre lived through the 2001 economic collapse in Argentina.  The only thing bad I can say is I hate his font choice.  His lessons learned are priceless considering the biggest threat after a crisis is other people, its well worth the read.

It's a disaster! What are you going to do about it? - I picked this book up from my instructor  in a FEMA / CERT class I took.  Its more geared towards hurricanes and hail storms then SHTF.  Since the likelihood of these type of events happening on a daily basis is greater then a total collapse of society, it definitely has its place.


Navy SEAL survival handbook - This one is a bit techie and can be boring, but nobody does survival like SEALs

Camping for Dummies  - Unless you're an Eagle Scout, this one is a cover to cover read.  Its a plain spoken book full of lessons tip for the beginner.  Its also the one book I made my wife and kids read

Emergency war surgery  I actually have several medical books in this category.  It s a NEED, not a want.  This book (or one like it) and a military field surgery kit should be a part of any emergency cache.

Perppers home defense - Sheltering in place will require fortification in an urban or suburban setting.  While this was less helpful to me because of my extensive construction and security background, without question it focused on a hot topic.  anyone not in the industry will benefit from reading it

Emergency food storage and survival handbook - Geared much more for a shelter in place strategy.  This is my "go to" book when i work on my food plan.  With recipes, and storage planning guide, of all my books, this one focuses on the one thing you have to do every day, eat.


Now don't think i love just any book,  I have my share of duds sitting in a box waiting for an excuse to be gotten rid of, but these all have contributed and make great reference.  Feel free to recommend any great ones I didn't list or suggest more because like i said... I don't know everything.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be checking some of these out.

    ReplyDelete