Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Barnett Panzer V crossbow

I wouldn't call this a product review. Heck, honestly I don't even know what I'm doing with the darn thing. Maybe I've been watching too much of "The Walking Dead".  All I can say is Archery was a bucket list item for years.  Not Archery like I did 35 years ago in summer camp, but real serious hunting type archery. What I do know is that after trying a standard compound bow, and a crossbow,  I prefer the crossbow and a lot of my firearms training transfers. So after playing with a few smaller ones, I jumped in with both feet last year.

Not knowing if this would be something I would really enjoy, I was reluctant to invest a large sum in equipment.  I though about used ones, heck you can find them on craigs list and ebay all day long right?  Well, after a crossbow lesson from a friend who works at Gander Mountain about the hazards of dry firing, and how many used ones they see with micro fractures, I decided new was the way to go.

With price still looming over my head, I began shopping.  The number of 800 dollar crossbows is staggering, and the options just overwhelmed me.  After much searching and researching, I picked an entry level Barnett Panzer V.  The brand  has a quality reputation but at just north of 200 dollars the price was not so staggering that I would be hurt if I didn't like the sport.

I won't go through all the tech details, but its a basic recurve bow with enough power and accuracy to hunt small game.  Thats my second target block in the pic.  I enjoy it so much I shot up my first target and had to replace it.  Also, while I now want a new and more powerful Barnett Quad 400, I have found there is a lot more strength and accuracy I can get this Panzer, and bolt choice has a lot to do it it.   I recently pick up 3 20" Victory Voodoo bolts, and my first shot literally blew straight through my target and the hay bail I had behind it.

Now these are not toys, they are serious weapons and dangerous with with just the practice tips on,  let alone a good set of broadheads.   Keeping in mind, this is both entertaining and a hunting tool I have chosen to use G5's Montec boradheads because they are one solid piece of metal with no moving pieces to break, thus the only maintenance is sharpening.   Contrary to the movies they have a audible and recognizable sound, and are not silent weapons.  They are also an addictive and entertaining hobby.


2 comments:

  1. That’s great! Just pumped up. You always give your best!

    Super useful and awesome information here. I thank you! Thank you very much!
    Have a look at our article if you want.
    -

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, are you looking for Buy crossbow broad heads online in the whole USA? We are providing Order crossbow broad heads Online, Where to buy Crossbow heads Online, G5 STRIKER V2 CROSSBOW BROADHEADS, GRIM REAPER CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 2 BLADE 2 IN. 100 GR. 3 PK., GRIM REAPER CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 2 BLADE 2 IN. 150 GR. 3 PK., MUZZY ONE CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 100 GR. 3 PK.,NAP DK4 CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 100 GR. 3 PK, NAP DK4 CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 12, SIK F4CB CROSSBOW BROADHEADS 100 GR. 3 PK.in the world with the well price and our services are very fast.

    Click here href=" https://www.huntingunsandammostore.com/product-category/crossbow-broadheads/"> title=” Crossbow Broadheads Archives - Huntinguns and ammostore”

    MORE DETAILS......
    Contact: (281) 886-3156
    Email: info@huntingunsandammostore.com

    ReplyDelete