Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A quick word about organization...

Like I have said before, to me "prepping is about time shifting".  Thats doing a task, learning a skill, or acquiring resources at a time of your choosing.  Now, putting tasks and skills aside, i want to spend a little time on organization.    In the prepping community you hear a lot about a "bug out bag".  I don't have one.  I just don't believe i could ever need to leave in that big a rush.  I tried to make one and ended up with a big pile of stuff in the center of the floor twice the size of my back pack. 

So I decided I'm basically a "bug in" kind of guy (thats "Shelter in place" if you want to use the official homeland security terminology).   Meaning in the event of an emergency or crisis I am prepared to stay within my house for weeks or months without any outside assistance.  I have food, water, personal necessities, and various emergency supplies so i do not have to expose myself to whatever dangers may be present.  That being said, there are some events that by their very nature would necessitate an evacuation. Both Hurricanes Sandy and Katrina are classic examples, but wildfires and others also exist.  With this in mind I choose to store many of emergency preparation supplies in a manner that I can readily get to, but are organized for rapid transport if necessary.

I could easily keep my supplies on shelves in a closets, or with there counterparts that we use daily, but this would mean I would have to scramble around the house gathering items in the midst of the most chaotic of times. Heck, in my 50 years I have never gone on vacation and not forgot something.   A razor, toothpaste, dark socks, the right tie, it never fails.  So with out question, while the county's emergency siren blaring of eminent danger, and lives on the line, i'm sure to.   


My solution has been to create "bug out kits".  Basically, to use storage bins to hold and pre-stage all my gear, safe and out of the way of daily life.  IF i am forced to bug out i can exist safely for an extended period of time by taking pre-organized necessities. I get to pack, check, and double check under no time pressure.  Getting here, I went through the all phases from cardboard boxes, to run of the mill storage bins, and eventually finding these Greene Horizon boxes at Home Depot.  While not the cheapest, they are tough as nails, have a piano hinge system, and a place for a pad lock (important to keep kids from stealing your batteries for their video games).  I found these to exactly what you need if you are tossing these in the back of a pick up with a storm breathing down your neck.  They do make a larger size then the 20 gallon ones I standardized on, but i can lift and move these alone no matter what is in packed in them.

While I have about 10, here are 3 examples of how I have packed my kits

This one is predominately a "med kit".  There are several antibiotics vacuum sealed, 5 quick clot packs, field surgical kit, some OTC meds like Motrin and Advil, and bandages.  I also keep an Asthmanefrin starter kit and a refill.
This is a "support kit" with some Goal Zero crank lanterns, and a number of other GZ lights. Lazerbright battery operated glow sticks, hand warmers, and a number of other items
This "support kit" holds my Katadyn Vario water filters, respirators and filters, First aid kit, antibacterial wipes and other miscellaneous items like chapstick and Vaseline
Also since I was packing all this stuff in multiple bins, it also gave me another opportunity to plan and think ahead.  So what happens if i forget one, or lose it, or its stolen or falls of the truck.  Oh well, there goes all the medical supplies, or the flash light batteries.  Thats just not good prepping.  Multiple units offers redundancy, if you organize right.  So I "spread my items across" the bins in a way that makes sure that even if one or two are lost, I have not lost all of one particular supply type.   Each bin no matter what the purpose, also contains a vacuum sealed emergency ammunition pack made up of two boxes of 20 gauge shells, 2 boxes of 9mm, 200 22lr rounds, and 120 223 rounds.  If i'm at home I can access what i need just as easily as if it were on a shelf.
  










No comments:

Post a Comment