Saturday, November 9, 2013

GPS systems

caught my attention as a survival tool a couple of years ago.  Now if you're an Eagle Scout or a Bear Grylls type and can put your ear to a tree, look at the moon, and know exactly where you are, great!  If you grew up a "city kid" like me, the idea of being off in an unfamiliar wooded area is more then a bit daunting.   So i'm thinking, i want to get some use out of this and not just sit it in a box in the basement, but its also an investment as a part of my Preps.  In fact, my strategy when buying "prepping" gear is to also be able to use it for camping, or recreation, or something, anything.  Just not to hoard it and create a bunch of stuff that sits in the corner.

Besides, even though i am actively pursuing a better knowledge of the skills and techniques of outdoorsmanship (if thats a word).  I can read, research, and just going out and do, and yes i have come back with my fair share of poison ivy.  But I figure there is no need to abandon technology.  Tech can be a tool just like a hatchet or a knife, and if applied correctly it can support and augment existing skills.

Anyway, these are two GPS units I picked up.  Now my "Philosophy of Use" (to steal Nutnfancy's term*) was that if in unfamiliar territory, I could get back to my camp from a hike and just not be lost. Now paper maps have their place and you should definitely have them. I have several.  But if you get lost in the woods with a map, you'er still lost. My POU was to set a destinations or locations and be able to get back there. And i wanted something simple enough for my kids to use. And it didn't need to be the latest tech because I wanted multiple for our group to use to coordinate with.

Well last year I picked up 2 of the Megellan Tritons on the left.  No bones about it, they were a complete waste of money. Other then knowing i'm in the Michigan, its useless for my purposes.  It never zoomed in close enough to be useful,  and you cant upgrade or download maps to make it better on a large scale. I could go on, but why?  you get the point.  I guess they make good products, but this is not one of them. 

I was very disappointed, but I trudged on in my search for a solution.  Eventually I came across the Bushnell backtrack on the right. I could not have dreamed of a better tool for what i actually want to do. Its more a digital compass then a GPS unit, but you can set 3 destination points like camp, the lake, the car. and it will lead you right back to which ever you select.  Tag "base camp" and go off on a hike, or to hunt, or get water.  If you all get separated everyone can find there way back to base.  A kid can use it, which is EXACTLY what I wanted. And they are cheap!  Bushnell has come out with 2 upgraded models, the Backtrack 2 and the D-tour.  Both have slight improvements which has made the original very cheap on the secondary market.  You can find them on Ebay for 25 dollars. At that price you can get a few for the family.  

I sent one off for the day with a bunch of Webelos and I was impressed with how quickly they were comfortable with exploring and using it to get back to camp. I will also send on off with my wife to the mall for Christmas shopping to tag the car location.  

No comments:

Post a Comment