Thursday, November 28, 2013

"In case of zombies, or yard work" ...


I think this exemplifies my philosophy to prepping.  Its not something you do in a vacuum. Its not putting a bunch of freeze dried food hyped by a celebrity spokes person in the closet.  Prepping is something you integrate into your life.   We eat what we store, we rotate both our food and household staples inventory by using them in our daily lives.  When I do things, I make my choices with both prepping and everyday life in mind.

A typical example is diversifying my exercise program.  last spring I decide to add more cardiovascular work into my weekly exercise program.  So, at 50 my knees aren't what they use to be, that meant adding more then a day or 2 of serious running was impractical.  Well, I though maybe I'll get a bike and ride. Better yet with the right bike can invest in exercise now, AND have an alternative mode of transportation that does not require fossil fuels.


After a fair amount of research I settled on a trail bike. While not the fastest or lightest, it allowed me to exercise and is rugged enough to truly service as alternative transportation in any terrain.  In fact, I also bought my son one too so I get an opportunity for some of that all important father son bonding time.  I see my bike choice as a prepping compromise where I gained several times more then I gave up by not choosing a traditional street bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment